What are NEMA Enclosures?
NEMA enclosures are electrical enclosures that are rated according to testing standards developed by the National Electrical Manufacturer’s Association (NEMA) for their ability to protect equipment against things like dust, heat, water, or other environmental hazards. NEMA uses stringent testing requirements to ensure that enclosures meet their standards, and while each NEMA rating has different specifications, they’re all intended to protect electronic property from potential damage. Our enclosures protect electronic components from dust, heat, water, and other environmental hazards.
Protecting your electrical components is an important task—one that ensures your company doesn’t lose countless hours of productivity and money down the drain dealing with the consequences of damaged or malfunctioning equipment. We take pride in the fact that we can manufacture products to meet the rigorous specifications set by NEMA. We also offer some IEEE rated enclosures, too.
*Custom Emcor NEMA Enclosures
Why NEMA Ratings Matter
The most critical functions of NEMA-rated enclosures are controlling ingress and egress. Ingress is a substance’s ability to penetrate a structure or space. Conversely, egress is a substance’s ability to escape a structure or space.
While most NEMA ratings focus on blocking ingress or preventing a substance from entering an enclosure, a few also work to block egress or prevent a substance from escaping. Choosing the right NEMA rating for a specific application is essential in providing the appropriate protection.
Some of the most common NEMA ratings for enclosures are:
- NEMA 1: NEMA 1 enclosures typically protect internal components and controls from personnel and foreign objects. These enclosures function indoors only and protect workers by restricting access to potentially hazardous components.
- NEMA 3R: NEMA 3R enclosures work in both indoor and outdoor applications. In addition to protecting personnel from accessing potentially dangerous electrical parts, these enclosures protect equipment from outdoor elements like dirt, rain, ice, and snow.
- NEMA 4: Like NEMA 3R structures, NEMA 4 enclosures work indoors or outdoors and protect against extreme weather. A Type 4 structure offers the added benefit of protection against splashing water, windblown dust, and hose-directed water.
- NEMA 4X: These enclosures provide all the benefits of Type 4 designs with an additional level of protection against corrosion. Type 4X closures perform better than Type 4 closures in harsher environments.
- NEMA 6: These enclosures function indoors or outdoors and protect against damage from external ice formation, hose-directed water, and water entry during temporary submersion at a limited depth.
- NEMA 6P: Type 6P enclosures are similar to Type 6 structures with an added level of protection against corrosion. Type 6P designs can also withstand submersion in up to 6 feet of water for up to 24 hours.
NEMA Enclosures For Indoor Use
We can manufacture products that protects users against contact with hazardous components and protects the components from the ingress of solid objects, such as fingers and falling dirt. We can also protect against the ingress of dipping and light splashing water.
NEMA Enclosures For Outdoor Use
From subzero temperatures and snowstorms to ice, rain, sleet, or extra-hot days, you can rest assured that equipment stored in our outdoor / weatherproof electrical enclosures will remain protected from even the most daunting elements. We offer lockable doors and panels to prevent theft or damage. We can offer 100% water testing to assure that each product is verified and guaranteed waterproof. We also have experience with sunshades, outdoor topcoats, and e-coat finishes designed so that the exterior finish holds up as well as the protected devices inside.
In short, you can count on us to keep your equipment safe, dry, and operational regardless of the external environment.
Custom NEMA Electrical Cabinets, Housings, and Other Enclosures
In addition to our standard options, we can customize a NEMA electrical enclosure based on the unique requirements of your application. Our design and manufacturing engineers help customers define their objectives and develop a structural design with the appropriate size and shape. We offer multiple types of materials with unique strength and durability characteristics.
Our standard finish is powder paint, but if required we can upgrade to a rust-proof automotive finish utilizing our Electrocoat (E-coat) paint line that delivers uniform paint coverage and superior corrosive resistance.
We also offer a wide range of accessories that add extra protection and functionality to your enclosures, including various hardware options. Many of our enclosures seamlessly integrate with power and climate control units.
Choose Emcor as Your Trusted Custom NEMA Enclosure Manufacturer
At Emcor, our manufacturing and quality control processes ensure that all NEMA enclosures meet the necessary standards and compliances. If you’re unsure which NEMA rating meets the requirements of your specific application, our engineering team is available to help guide you. Contact us online or call 507- 287-3535 to speak with a representative and request a quote.